Monday, June 20, 2005

Last Day of Class Tomorrow . . .

Oh man, I can't believe I have completed three months of massage therapy school! Tomorrow is my last day of class, and all we are doing is our "practical," which is where we have to demonstrate, ON CAMERA, for frog's sake, the five basic massage strokes and some range of motion techniques on whichever couple of body parts are assigned to us immediately before we start. No pressure there, is there? Nothing like seeing yourself on poor quality videotape to boost the old ego! We have six minutes to complete it, which sounds like a long time, but you have to remember a number of steps, make sure your draping is correct, make sure you are not blocking the camera's view of what you are doing, blah, blah, blah, and there are points for each thing. Give me a good old multiple choice exam any day. This is exactly like the practical we have to do as a portion of our state test. We practiced in front of the camera last week, and I had to go first and I did horrible - I was so awkward and self-conscious! But, my partner for tomorrow is Josh, a really nice young guy (he's 20) in our class who I really like. We have a friendly rivalry going on to make the best grades and all of us girls tease him a lot because he's a great sport! We are going first, at 8am, so at least I'll get it over with! Then on Wednesday, DUM DUM DUM, we start our internships and we have to actually work on real people. Can you say yikes . . . actually I think it'll be a lot of fun. Well, reading over this I realize it's probably really boring to other people, so I'll move on.

But it is a big milestone for me - I have made this huge life change, that I decided on in January, started planning in February, and actually went and did something about it and quit my job and started school in April. Sometimes when I think back over the last few months, it seems so unreal to me that I actually went through with this and have now finished school and am actually about to jump into a totally new career! It's probably one of the most spontaneous things I've ever done that wasn't a really stupid and self-destructive decision! It wasn't totally spontaneous, I did plan it out, but I made the decisions involved pretty quickly and decisively. I believed God was opening doors for me, and I just dreamed huge, as Beth Moore says.

On to the more bizarre, in my latest installment of That's Just Stupid . . . I saw a woman today coming out of Target who was older than me by at least 10 years, maybe more, and she had on a black top and some black shorts of some knit material, BLACK HOSE AND DRESS SHOES! I did a triple take and just shook my head. What in the world was she dressed up for? I tried to think - a play, a dance class, a costume party . . . geez, don't people look in the mirror - don't they have someone who loves them enough to say, you know, you might want to rethink your ensemble . . . and she was with a man, who looked relatively normal! Why didn't he say something to her . . .

We kept Sam this weekend so Mike and Lindsay could celebrate their fourth anniversary. He is the funniest toddler I've ever known, other than Andy. He keeps us busy - I'd forgotten how much energy it takes to chase after an active, inquisitive toddler! He is learning new words every day and is just so bright! He slept with me, and I discovered he talks, cries, snores and an assortment of other sleep-interrupting activities during his sleep. Mind you, he doesn't wake up during these things, but I certainly do. Who knew a grandbaby would change life so much? I miss him when he's not around and love to see his little dimpled face whenever I can. Wish he was a little more cuddly, but he's just too busy exploring the world to have time for such things as affection, except when he's tired. But when Linsday came to get him Sunday morning, he was SO happy to see her, and he gave her a hug and a sweet kiss - it was just the sweetest thing to see.

I'm too tired to write anything funny or creative - and I still have more stuff to do. Gotta find a way to break this habit of writing way too much about everything going on. Need some ice cream to refresh my energy. Bad habit. Must stop. Currently watching Arrested Development - I rented the whole first season on DVD. I highly recommend it if you like really weird, quirky and clever but wayyyyyy out of the box comedy. Just my cup of tea, with my warped sense of humor . . .

No comments: