Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Here's the thing . . .

Well, here I am finally. After much procrastination, I have finally started a blog, so now the pressure's on to say something profound and intellectual, or at least hiliariously funny and insightful. I'm thinking the second one is probably more attainable (relatively speaking anyway). Of course, anal fool that I am, I edited my profile about five times before I got it just right, so I've used up much of my posting time and it's almost time to go to choir rehearsal.

I called my blog "Here's the thing . . . " and I basically plan to just post my thoughts and observations about life. I don't have anything earth shaking to say, but I do have a sometimes, shall we say, "different" take on things. I will share things I read that make me smile or wince or "make my brain spin around in my skull" (to quote Scott Adams). I've reached that certain age where you just don't care about some stuff any more, and it's very liberating. Took me a while to come up with a name that I thought was descriptive and yet not off-putting. I wanted to name it Well That's Just Stupid, a phrase I use often these days. Maybe I'll occasionally have a "Well That's Just Stupid" entry. Gotta give that some thought.

I have a lot of things to say, and I have no idea where to begin, but this is really going to be fun. I love to read other people's blogs, just to see what they are thinking. It's been my experience since e-mail became a regular part of my life (though I went there kicking and screaming about what a waste of time it was - geez I was stupid), that people often can articulate their thoughts better in writing, and will write down things that they might find it difficult if not impossible to say in a face to face conversation, or perhaps just that they don't think anyone else will care to sit and listen to. Sometimes ya just want to ramble or rant (I'm quite familiar with both hobbies) and it's just easier and more fun to write it down. You can edit yourself much better, which is a good thing if you are like me and your filter tends to fail you when you need it most. And the person responding to your thoughts can take the time to consider carefully what they want to say, to ask for clarification, etc. I try to make it a personal goal to never send a flame mail but to think about it before I hit that send button. Email has been a great tool in my marriage to a person who, though I love him more than I can express, is so intrinsically different from me in the way he processes information, deals with conflict and anger, and expresses thought, that you'd think we were speaking two completely different languages or perhaps hailed from two different planets (Mars and Venus, anyone)? So, I guess my first blog is about the good things about email and blogging and writing your thoughts in general. I will be back later to write about the new journey I am on these days and what brought it about, etc.

Well, Dear Diary, I must go fulfill some obligations. Bleh. (not really, I love choir, but when I get started writing it's hard to stop - an extension of my "I'm talking and I can't shut up" persona that those who know me best have learned to gracefully tolerate.

Back later tonight I hope!

No comments: