Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Movie Poll of the Week

You should have one favorite movie that makes you laugh, one that shakes you up, and one that makes you cry. Here are mine:

Laugh - If the criteria is how close I came to peeing my pants or passing out from lack of oxygen, I'd have to say a tie between Return of the Pink Panther (the very best of the series by a million miles) and There's Something About Mary (the first time I saw it). Laughed so hard in Pink Panther people were getting aggravated because I kept laughing into the next scene. In Mary, just thought I was never gonna catch my breath. My favorite scene is the one where Matt Dillon tries to revive the dog with the lamp cord. And I confess, I am a huge fan of the Austin Powers movies. Own all three of them. Guilty as charged. In fact, there is a huge list of movies that I love that make me laugh a lot. When Harry Met Sally, Stripes, Wedding Crashers, Anchorman, 40-Year Old Virgin, O Brother Where Art Thou, Princess Bride, just to name a few. I really do enjoy sophisticated humor too, but it's the sophomoric, goofy, silly humor that makes me spit up. Also, Arrested Development - funniest.TVshow.ever. Canceled. Sad.

Shakes Me Up - Most recently, definitely Crash. But in a good way. Every person in America should see this movie (see my previous post for my thoughts on this film). And any movie about the Holocaust - most recently The Pianist. Brilliant but hard to watch.

Cry - My all time favorite movie ever, To Kill a Mockingbird. After the trial when the black minister says "Stand up, Miss Jean Louise, your father's passin'." Gets me choked up every time. Also when Scout meets Boo Radley face to face finally. Second place is The Way We Were. I know, don't even say it. But at the time that movie came out, there were things in my life that it touched regarding the nature of love. At the end, when Katie sees Hubbell and pushes the hair out of his eyes, and says "Your girl is lovely, Hubbell." Sniff. That scene says so much about the bittersweet aftermath of a love that just wasn't meant to be, no matter how much you wanted it to be.

I want to add another category. What's your favorite movie about love and romance that makes you just feel really good? Not tragedy, not mush, but real and true. I have two, and Jay and I never get tired of watching them because they speak so profoundly about the nature of real love. Something's Gotta Give (no particular scene, just the whole darn movie), and Love Actually (especially the restaurant scene between Colin Firth and the Portuguese girl - won't say more in case you haven't seen it) (Also the opening and closing scenes at the airport - LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM). If you have not seen these movies, I highly recommend them whether you are currently in love or not. They will give you hope. And make you smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And who doesn't need to feel hopeful and warm and fuzzy now and then?

Hmm, guess my THREE movies was really more of a listing. Feel free to do the same.

Please give me your comments, friends!

4 comments:

hampton said...

don't worry, if i take a live in job it'll still be in the metroplex. you're stuck with me for just a little while.

Jay said...

Laugh - Return of the Pink Panther. 50 First Dates.

Shakes You Up - Crash.

Cry - Wedding Video(just kidding).

Romantic Comedy - My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Something's Gotta Give.

Drama - Chariots of Fire. Shawshank Redemption. Man on Fire. Open Range.

Action - Bourne Identity. Bourne Supremecy. Minority Report.

Julie Kibler said...

I see that Jay just had to add his own category. :P---
I am going to comment here with my selections soon!

Sunshine said...

A former friend of mine (I won't bother with the story) hated the story line in Love Actually of Colin Firth and his Portugese love. She said it was unrealistic that they could fall in love when they couldn't communicate. What?! Needless to say, this former friend of mine has serious trust and commitment issues. Glad we're not really in touch anymore.

Laugh: What About Bob? is pretty good. "I'll be quiet....I'll be peace!" And then when he's carrying the fish around in a jar with a string around his neck....More recently, Wedding Crashers. I love the story between Vince Vaughn's character and his girl. Hilarious.

Shakes me up: In My Country, The Constant Gardener, and of course, Crash

Cry: Well, I haven't felt like watching sad movies lately. But...Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonea. Really. Also Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias. Steel Magnolias was filmed in the town where my granddad grew up. My great aunt Betty is sitting behind Sally Field in the wedding scene. Ms. Field smiles at Aunt Betty. I remember my mother and her sister watching the movie for the first time, exclaiming, "There's that house!" My mother and aunt have both since passed. My mother looked A LOT like Sally Field. So that's a hard movie to watch anyway. The scene in Forrest Gump when she is dying has always been hard for me to watch. Really hard now. Whew...enough of that...

Love: Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea again. Gil is such a sweet guy. If you haven't seen these, see them. You've Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally, and Love Actually--the Colin Firth bit. Okay, here's a cheesy one, but I love it--Ever After. Shows you don't have to be a flitty, flighty stupid girl and can actually have a brain. Not a huge Drew Barrymore fan, but I love that movie.

Okay, that was probably waaaaay too long....